You often hear us talk about Minnkota Power Cooperative in the pages of this newsletter, so we wanted to take a moment to explain what makes us partners and what sets us apart.
Nodak Electric Cooperative is one of 11 rural electric cooperatives that purchase electricity generated and delivered to local substations by Minnkota. From the substations, Nodak Electric Cooperative distributes the electricity to the homes, farms and businesses in our service territory.
So, what are the differences between Minnkota and YOUR co-op?
- Minnkota – Minnkota is owned by the member cooperatives it serves, like Nodak Electric Cooperative.
- Nodak Electric Cooperative – Your co-op is owned by YOU, along with all of the other local members to whom we distribute power.
- Minnkota – Minnkota’s main mission is to generate safe, reliable and environmentally responsible electricity (through coal, wind and hydro sources) and transmit that electricity to its member cooperatives,
like Nodak Electric Cooperative.
- Nodak Electric Cooperative – Your co-op’s main mission is to deliver electricity to its member consumers reliably and affordably, no matter the season.
- Minnkota – Minnkota’s board of directors is composed of representatives from the boards of its member cooperatives.
- Nodak Electric Cooperative – Your co-op’s board of directors is composed of member-consumers like you, voted onto the board
- Minnkota – Minnkota is headquartered in Grand Forks, N.D., with its main generation plant (Milton R. Young Station) located in Center, N.D.
- Nodak Electric Cooperative – Your co-op is headquartered in Grand Forks, N.D., with service centers in Grand Forks, Grafton, Cavalier, Devils Lake, Michigan, Finley and Hillsboro.
Learn more about our wholesale electricity supplier at Minnkota.com.