As you light your holiday with shining stars and shimmering snowmen, be sure to decorate safely. For a happy – and safe – holiday, follow these tips from Nodak Electric Cooperative:
- Use lights approved for safe use by a nationally recognized testing laboratory.
- Avoid overloading electrical outlets with too many decorations or electrical devices. They can overheat and cause a fire.
- Never connect more than three strands of incandescent lights together.
- Outdoor electric lights and decorations should be plugged into circuits protected by ground- fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs).
- Always unplug electrical decorations before replacing bulbs or fuses.